There are two award schemes in the Southwark and East Surrey Area:
- Dean’s Award (Bronze)
- Bishop’s Award (Silver)
Their aim is to encourage in choristers a high standard of loyalty,
musical ability and dedication to church and choir. The requirements for the Southwark Dean’s (Bronze) and Bishop’s (Silver) examinations appear below. Contact for further information.
The Gold Award is examined and administered by the RSCM centrally and you can find out more on the RSCM website.
Examinations for 2018
Southwark & East Surrey Area has adopted the RSCM National Syllabus for the Awards. There are important requirements and applicants and candidates will need to ensure that they have understood these. Also be aware of the prerequisites set out below.
Musical selections for the examination are restricted and candidates will need to select music from the Repertoire Lists.
There is also some local information relating to how Southwark & East Surrey Area administers the examinations. Key changes over previous years include:
- Candidates must provide their own accompanist
- Entry fees are to be paid by BACS and there is no longer any refund for unsuccessful candidates
To enter you will need to have consulted these items:
Examination Dates for 2018
||Closing date for applications
||Saturday 3 February 2018
||5pm on Friday 12 January 2018
||Saturday 9 June 2018
||5pm on Friday 18 May 2018
The Awards Presentation service will be held on Sunday 30 September 2018. Candidates from both sessions will be invited to receive their awards at this service.
- must have been a member of a choir and attended regularly for at least two years;
- must submit a testimonial, as described in section D, at the point of application signed by their vicar/minister/head of music/head teacher/director of music confirming their ongoing commitment to the choir and certifying their attendance at one special day of music making in the last 2 years and at least 75% of regular choir commitments; and
- may choose to sing their voice part or to follow a unison line, except in the set piece where they must sing Soprano/Treble, Alto, Tenor or Bass.
- will be required to sing Soprano/Treble, Alto, Tenor or Bass;
- must have been a member of a choir and attended regularly for at least three years;
- must submit a testimonial, as described in section D, at the point of application signed by the vicar/minister/head of music/head teacher/director of music confirming the candidate’s commitment to the choir and certifying their attendance at one special day of music making in the last 2 years, since taking the Bronze Award, and at least 75% of regular choir commitments; and
- Those candidates aged 15 and below must pass the Dean’s Award (Bronze) before attempting the Bishop’s Award (Silver). Those candidates aged 16 and above may opt for either award without preliminary qualifications.